Tuesday 9 June 2015

Where Once Truth Was

There was a time when I could walk this path and there was no one here.  The car park was always empty.  It could be the height of spring and a fresh new day and still no one.  I would walk and see nothing but beauty. But things have changed and now others come here too, and more frequently by the day - ever since the falls received a top 10 tourist ranking.  Many of them have forgotten the common courtesies that one should pay to nature, and so they leave their many marks and signs in the landscape. Evidence against hope as the photographer Robert Adams puts it.

And there I was, making photographs of the natural scenery, wanting to record the hopefulness that lies hidden in the mystery and beauty of the world: excluding what I didn't like from the camera frame, to give an interpretation of hope untainted.

But then what can I say about the the truthfulness of my photographs. Have they been reduced to fraudulence? Perhaps I can present these slightly dishonest photos under the guise of optimism? Maybe not convincingly (not to myself at least), not if optimism itself requires denying reality.

So here are photos of hope and what it became in its tainted form that day.

Wairere falls. Taken at vandalized native vine
Wairere Stream. From recently graffitied foot bridge
Tree ferns. Taken 50 or so steps from barley sugar wrapper
Inner forest at half eaten apple
500 year old Rimu tree near vomited dog biscuits
Toi Toi flowers in the wind. Derelict campsite under trees in background containing 2 dozen shrink wrapped plastic plates, old shoes, perished tent fly, child's butterfly net, and other litter.
Fractured rock. Two girls smoke and text message behind boulders
Three boulders at cigarette butt
View from waterfall ledge across dairy farms

5 comments:

  1. As a gesture of appreciation for email subscribers who contribute thoughtful comments to this post I will put your name in a draw to receive a limited edition archival print and a copy of one of my photozines shipped anywhere in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photographs. The rich tones, striking shadow and texture give these photographs a wonderful almost engraved feel with a beautiful balance. No giving up hope with these photographs but I can relate to the unease of 'Wrappers Naturally'. (A work of mine focusing on the litter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I saw:
      http://www.blurb.com/books/2252653-wrappers-naturally

      Delete
  3. Thank you Bill for your comments. I enjoyed looking through your book and seeing a different approach to mine. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. “Cross even the shallow river deeply.” Michio Hoshino, wild life photographer.
    Art, prayer, conversations are tools to help us travel more deeply. These photos of one my favourite spots in the Waikato, compelled me to stop and think…Now what will be my next step of my journey?

    ReplyDelete